Known in the region for highly sophisticated engineered solutions, MHE-Demag pushed the boundaries of innovation when it designed a bespoke overhead fork crane for Siam Yamato Steel Ban Bueng Distribution Centre upon request that possessed the versatility for steel handling.
MHE-Demag Thailand in cooperation with the regional and local teams worked tirelessly from the initial concept stage to the final handover. The result was six units of fork cranes with a capacity of 10t each and a span of 27m, and a fork with 600mm load centre.
The key features of the fork cranes are as follows:
- The adjustable fork distance ranges from 500mm- 3000mm and is suitable in handling steel profiles of up to 12m in length.
- The forks and the carriage are built in accordance to ISO 2328 with a fork length of 1500mm.
- The lifting winch mechanism is engineered and constructed by MHE-Demag with a lifting speed of 1.6m to 16m per minute with a lifting height (fork travel) of 6m.
- The speed of rotation, cross travel and long travelling speeds are 1 RPM, 0.3m-30m per minute and 0.6m-60m per minute respectively.
- The forks tilts ±5degrees from the horizontal level.
- All motion control with speed adjustment is operated by inverters
- The crane control system is operated via radio remote control, and is integrated with Wi-Fi and PLC
The fork cranes are now in operation, handling long steel products on the forks with rotating crabs and stiff masts in the steel distribution facility. The cranes provide efficient storage and retrieval with greatly improved productivity and optimised floor space. The floor is less congested and the removal of lift trucks contributes to a safer and healthier environment.