Motorized Cable Reels
Our motor-driven cable reels are used to supply power to movable equipment to automatically wind flexible power or control cables and correspond to VDE and accident prevention regulations. The reels can have a spiral or cylindrical winding configuration. The cable is pulled out horizontally or vertically.
How the Drive System Works
Vahle Inc. uses the following drive systems:
- Three-phase motor with compact drive unit
- Three-phase motor with frequency inverter including constant and variable torque
- Torque motor
All drives work in the direction of cable travel. The unit uncoils the cable by extending (paying out) the cable from the reel body against the torque provided by the drive unit, which adjusts to the travel speed of the reel until the reel comes to a standstill. For safety, a brake avoids uncontrolled cable payout in case the drive loses power.
Our monospiral reel bodies are built with flexibility in mind. They are manufactured in bolted versions and are adjustable by width, so they can be adapted to various cable diameters. The winding diameter is adjustable to conform to the minimum bending radius of the cable.
Motor Driven Cable Reel Applications
Our motor driven cable reels can be used in a wide range of crane applications, including construction cranes, grab buckets, magnets, container cranes and electric hoists. Other special applications include:
- Hose reels for air, liquids and gases
- Tag line reels for handling steel ropes
- Reels for control, signal and high frequency transmission cables
- Offshore reels, including on ships or in the tropics